There aren’t any job vacancies at the moment.
Volunteer Tea Room Assistants
Purpose of role:
To assist the Catering Manager in the opening, closing and smooth running of the ‘front of house’ Butler’s Pantry Tea Room.
What the role requires: (relevant training will be given)
- Maintaining an excellent level of service to our visitors – remaining visible and accessible to visitors throughout the shift
- Serving drinks, cakes and food from the front of house tea room area
- Becoming barista trained
- Serving prepared food from the kitchen (not preparing it)
- Taking food orders and communicating with the kitchen
- A commitment to upselling – i.e. offering biscuits with drinks, highlighting soup of the day, etc.
- Taking payments and using the electronic till
- Clearing and cleaning tables
- An awareness of the action to take in case of fire / fire alarm
- Working alongside other volunteers doing a similar role
- Smart, friendly and approachable with excellent personal presentation
- Used to interacting with the public
- Experience of working in the hospitality sector
- Health and safety aware
- Reliable, organised and self-motivated
- Level 1 Food Safety Awareness certificate is desirable – additional training may be offered
Please see the full role profile > Volunteer Role Description – Tea Room Assistant
Wentworth Woodhouse has a dedicated team of volunteers, who give their time across a variety of roles – do you think you might like to join them?
People volunteer with us for many reasons – most often, as a way of giving something back to the community and the satisfaction around knowing that, they have contributed towards the house and its preservation for future generations.
Volunteering with us gives you:
• structure to your day and a sense of achievement
• a challenge and an opportunity for personal development
• an opportunity to learn new skills or to use your lifetime skills
• an opportunity to meet others and to make social contact
May anyone volunteer?
Volunteers are an integral part of the team at Wentworth Woodhouse and we appoint them with all possible care and attention. There is a simple application form, two references are asked for and dependent on the role you choose, a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. We arrange all this for you, so don’t worry about the process.
No special skills are needed and all relevant training will be given. We have volunteers of all ages and from all walks of life. Some of our volunteers also have full-time jobs in the week and they volunteer for us at the weekend. Couples are also welcome to apply.
Will it cost me anything?
No, you are not expected to be out of pocket for the help you give the Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust. We reimburse reasonable travel expenses.
What training will I receive?
Each volunteer role has a written role description, clearly stating what the role involves. Wherever possible, new volunteers are placed with more experienced volunteers, so you can learn as you go along. You will never be asked to undertake any role for which, you have not received appropriate instruction. All our training is provided free of charge.
Is there a minimum amount I have to do each week?
Every role is different. In all areas we can be flexible about the time given. Some volunteers come in several times a week, others less often. We appreciate that many volunteers have a lot of demands on their time so we try to accommodate this by being as flexible as possible.
Do volunteers do the same things as paid staff?
Volunteers usually do not carry out the work of paid staff. Volunteers add quality to the services that we offer by giving their time to support and assist paid staff to provide a high-quality effective service to our visitors in a busy working historic environment.
Is volunteering the same as work experience?
No. Volunteers don’t usually undertake work done by paid staff and volunteering is not a means of gaining work experience, but of course volunteering can enhance your CV and offer exciting opportunities.
How do I apply to become a volunteer at Wentworth Woodhouse?
Please either telephone or email Alison our Volunteer Coordinator in the first instance:
Telephone: 01226 351161